Our history


On Sunday evening, February 8, 1931, St. David’s Church of North Hollywood held its first service in the chapel of McNamara’s Mortuary. Lively participation by 51 parishioners and a 14-person borrowed choir belied the somber setting. McNamara’s Mortuary housed the fledgling congregation for the next seven and a half years. 


St. David’s, named after the patron saint of medieval Wales, soon became known as “the friendliest church in the San Fernando Valley.” As the mission grew, it needed a bigger, more permanent home. So in September 1937, the congregation of St. David’s left the mortuary and moved onto the property on the South side of Magnolia Boulevard and Lemp Avenue in North Hollywood. 


It wasn’t until December 1939, when The Rev. Dr. Alex K. Campbell became vicar of St. David’s, that the mission had a long-term priest. Under Dr. Campbell, membership increased and the church school thrived. Four years later, St. David’s ceased to be a ward of the Bishop and became a full-fledged parish of the Episcopal Diocese of Los Angeles. 

With the need for further expansion, the Vestry purchased land across the street from the church, instituted another building campaign and on Trinity Sunday in May 1953, Saint David’s congregation began worshiping at 11605 Magnolia Blvd. 


Dr. Campbell retired in 1964 after 25 years of service to St. David’s.  The Rev. Edward D. Eagle, who succeeded Dr. Campbell in 1964, stayed at St. David’s a few years before being called to head Cathedral Films. Fr. Eagle spearheaded the construction of the parish hall and classroom wing adjacent to the church, and The Rev. John Farnsworth served from March 1967 through April 1971. 

In December 1971, the vestry called The Rev. James E. Fenwick to become the spiritual leader of St. David’s. During Father Fenwick’s tenure, parishioners heard Christ preached from the pulpit and enjoyed Sunday morning Bible classes. Father Fenwick retired in 1990.

 

The Rev. Jose A. Poch joined St. David’s in March 1991.  Fr. Jose brought new life and a new vision to the parish. He faithfully served at Saint David's for 29 prosperous years. Father Jose passionately preached and taught God's Word throughout his tenure, seeing countless people come to faith and grow to become disciples of Christ. 


St. David’s disassociated from the Episcopal Church and the Diocese of Los Angeles in August 2004 and associated with the Diocese of Luweero in Uganda, thus remaining a faithful member of the worldwide Anglican Communion. In June 2009, St. David's became a part of the newly formed Diocese of Western Anglicans and the Anglican Church of North America (ACNA). 


On August 11, 2013, St. David's held a final service at our Magnolia Blvd. property in North Hollywood. To the glory of God, our first service at the current Burbank location Glenoaks Blvd. was held on August 18, 2013. In the Fall of 2016, the congregations of St. David's and St. Jude's of Burbank merged, uniting us as one family in worship and ministry.


Father Jose retired from his position as of January of 2021, and was immediately succeeded by our current Rector, the Rev. Astor Yelangueuzian. Father Astor hopes to continue the long lasting legacy of his predecessors, one that entails: 

(1) preaching and teaching God's Holy Word faithfully; (2) celebrating and administering the Holy Eucharist reverently; (3) serving and reaching new people in the community; and (4) equipping and sending disciples of Christ into the world for the sake of the Kingdom. 


+++


Saint David’s has gained a reputation as a beacon of Biblical orthodoxy throughout Southern California and the greater church.